Mini albums are relatively new to me. Before I went to Tokyo in November, I didn’t know what would justify using the smaller albums. I would either fit everything into my regular Project Life album or I would have everything but the pictures in a travel journal. I did use one Handbook when I took the This Is Me class at Studio Calico last year, but I never caught the mini-album bug.

But then I went to Tokyo for 6 days and took hundreds of pictures. And then I went to Siem Reap for 4 days and also took hundreds of pictures. So, mini-albums were the way to go, they really are just right for documenting short trips.

The question became which type of album to use. I had a Studio Calico Handbook on hand from the December Daily kit. I also had my eye on the Basic Grey Capture albums. And my local scrapbooking store carries only the Simple Stories albums. Here is a shot of all three mini-albums side by side.

In the end, I used the Handbook for my Tokyo album, the Basic Grey to hold my stamps (thank you @rukristin for that idea!) and the Simple Stories for my Siem Reap trip. By the time I got to the Siem Reap album, I had lots of leftover page protectors from the other two manufacturers.

And since I had so many pictures that I wanted to include and I didn’t want to spend more money or to wait again for shipping, I simply adapted the page protectors to the album I was using. For the Siem Reap trip, I was using the Simple Stories album. But I wanted to include the Basic Grey Capture paper dividers. I simply cut off the two extra inches at the top, added a hole and they fit perfectly.

For the pocket pages, the Studio Calico page protectors were the perfect fit, I only had to add a hole at the bottom to be able to insert them. The Basic Grey ones were too tall to fit, so I only used the ones with 6 3×3 pockets from that line. I cut off the top pockets and there you go. I like that you see the other page poke through.

 
 

Now since I was using page protectors from my stash, sometimes they didn’t have the right number of pockets for what I needed. In that case, I simply ran them through my sewing machine to make sure I got the pocket configuration I needed. Easy.

Turning a 6 x 8 into two 4 x 6:

 
And a 6 x 8 into a 4 3 x 4:

 
 
 
I’m glad because in adapting the page protectors to the album, I was able to save money by not ordering more page protectors and I got to use up my stash for the win! I’m almost done completing the album, I’ll be sharing pictures from it here this week.